If you are considering surgery to enhance your appearance, you should always be confident in the doctor’s abilities to provide your desired results. Corrective plastic surgery is expensive, and although businesses, such as Bergman Folkers Plastic Surgery, have come a long way in improving medical techniques, it is always best if the doctor performs the surgery correctly the first time. With more qualified doctors than ever before, chances are that you have a lot of options to choose from. Here are some things to look for in a cosmetic surgeon that will help you choose the right one:
- Board Certification – There are no laws in place that require a surgeon to be specifically trained in cosmetic procedures, but there is a group of doctors that started the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery to identify qualified individuals.
- Specialization of Skills – Even if the surgeon is board certified, they may not be as familiar with performing the type of procedure you want as another surgeon who is more experienced. The doctor’s experience is paramount to their ability to give you excellent results.
- Look at Their History – Check with the medical board of your state to see if there have been any lawsuits or complaints against the surgeon in the past. If previous patients were unsatisfied with the results of their surgery, the board will have a record.
- Ask About Hospital Privileges – Hospitals are places of business, and they protect their investments by performing background checks on every doctor who has access to the building. If your plastic surgeon doesn’t have any hospital privileges, then you should find another doctor. This is true even for patients who are having their procedure at an outpatient clinic.
- Write Down Questions – It’s important to ask lots of questions before your surgery so that you fully understand the procedure. Your surgeon should patiently explain any answers they have, and you should feel comfortable raising any concerns.
- Look Out for Multiple Surgeries – Some doctors may try to convince you that multiple surgeries are necessary for the operation to be successful. However, this is not always true. In the past, patients have been taken advantage of by greedy surgeons who wanted to make extra money by drawing out the operation.
- Review Previous Outcomes – You should take the time to review the surgeon’s previous work to determine if their “style” is right for you. Compare before and after photographs, and pay special attention to patients that have similar characteristics to you.
- Trust Your Instincts – If you don’t feel 100% comfortable with the surgeon or their staff, do not put your faith in their operating skills. Humans have an innate ability to sense bad situations on a subconscious level, and your gut may be trying to tell you it’s a bad idea to work with some people. Listen to your body and trust your instincts.
Plastic surgery is a great way to restore confidence and ensure happiness, but only if the procedure goes according to plan. Spend some time reviewing your options to make the best decision.Read More